Welcome...

The external purging of my internal ramblings served artfully...or so I hope....
...my portfolio website can be found at Katness Studios.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

February's Traveling More Quickly Than I...

It seems like just a day ago it was NYE, and yet here I am staring at Feb 11. This month I've just been trying to not get in the way of my LIFE as it attempts to run me over. :) As for my art, this means that I am unable to even attempt a complete piece every single day, but I am generally aiming for 1 per week--and thus far, somewhat successful.

I started 2 paintings this week.


This is *In-Progress* "Untitled"
18x14" oil on canvas board - non-ground

This one started with an idea for something completely different, though still orange. The original plan was for solid orange with blue (small) stripes peeking through...amongst other details. I definitely still want to bring that idea to life, but I decided that it will have a much different juxtaposition of elements than originally desired. It is currently still fairly wet, especially on the thicker parts, so it will have to sit a while. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I can get moving on it again. The curse of oils....










This is *In-Progress* "Untitled: Air-painting"
18x14" oil on canvas board - non-ground

Many times I start without an idea or thought or sketch. I just stare at the blank page, canvas or whatever & just wait for my instinct to tell me what to do. This is one of those pieces. I just knew I wanted to paint tonight. I actually thought I wanted to finish the stripes, but once I realized how wet it still was I knew I had to scrap that plan until a later time. I started out just with the intent to make a background & saw a hilly landscape developing in front of me, not unlike the Valley & her hills which trained & raised me in my youth. I accidentally discovered that when you use extremely thin oil, you can move it with air (breath). The one figure just happened to turn out looking like someone blowing breath forcefully. Sometimes, the Muse speaks through the universe & even more rarely, we are present enough to listen.

I'm excited for projects to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment