Welcome...

The external purging of my internal ramblings served artfully...or so I hope....
...my portfolio website can be found at Katness Studios.

Friday, January 20, 2012

AAD 2: cake sculpture 8Jan12



This was the cake that I did for my sister's baby shower. Her nursery theme is "turtles" & I was so honored that they'd allow me to do the cake, that I wanted to make it something special and memorable. She said she loved it, so that's good enough for me. And everyone thought it was tasty. :}

I found it interesting when my sister told me that the nursery theme was "turtles", though I'm not entirely surprised. This is the girl who fell in the mucky pond more than once while fishing, exploring or catching (& bringing home!) turtles--usually by herself. The fact that my extremely TomBoy sister ever grew up to be a beautiful girly woman is a bizarre twist of nature. And now, I get to have a nephew*, who I totally intend on calling "little turtle man" for as long as I can get away with it.

TURTLE: the great mother, home, ancient wisdom
I have an affinity for animals, though some are far more deeply ingrained in my soul. The Onandaga, which I do not have the privilege or pleasure of belonging to, refer to North America as "turtle island" because of a story wherein the ancient skychief's pregnant wife is saved from drowning because the turtle volunteered to bring earth up from the depths of the water for her to live on after her fall from the sky. For me, I have always associated turtles with my sister & our childhood, as well as a spirit of exploration & inquiry. And I'm extremely proud that she is passing on that spirit to our newest family member, even if she's not aware that it means all that. :}

*nephew - we assume based on science & intuition! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment