Welcome...

The external purging of my internal ramblings served artfully...or so I hope....
...my portfolio website can be found at Katness Studios.

Friday, January 20, 2012

AAD1: drawing 7Jan12


This one was harder to start than I had anticipated. I sat staring at a blank sheet for what seemed like an eternity. I nearly gave up, but then I just got this burst of volume from the Muse's tiny inner voice that told me to close my eyes. And so I did. In my mind's eye I could still see the blank white page, but then flashes of dark spots started showing up. No details-just block shapes. And then there was an extremely rudimentary fire ring. So I blocked it in as best I knew how.

I think this piece is very telling about my current state of affairs, right down to the quality. The elements in it seem to be contants in my life: fire, forest, owls, solitude. The person in the sketch was never meant to look like any particular person, but it ended up looking a little bit like a hybrid of myself & my Mister, more so him.

FIRE/FOREST: safety, warmth, industriousness
I often escape to the forest when life gets too fast. I am more at home & less fearful surrounded by beings/trees that have been on this planet far far longer than I. The woods at night don't worry me; People worry me. And in the primal state of...dark, woods, shadows, fire, animals...the head can clear of extraneous garbage and focus on real truth & action.

SOLITUDE: peace, learning, growing
There is nothing wrong with having a large social group around you. In fact, I cherish it & welcome even more people into my space. However, we do all our real living, creating, destruction & growing completely alone. I prefer it most of the time, but maybe that's because I'm a philosopher.

OWLS: seeking, learning, intuition
Owls are my token night animal. I have been followed by owls the entirety of my life. In times of toil, introspection &/or great quiet or change I will often have dreams of owls, be visited physically by owls or find myself bombarded with imagery of them. I think in this case, the owl represents me in a seeking role. It looks down on the solitary figure as if trying to nudge it into a state of seeking. Being that this is the first artwork I've attempted in a long time, I think this was my subliminal soul saying, "Hey good job with that first step. Let's move on now."

No comments:

Post a Comment